Sunday 6 January 2013

MY COLOURFUL LIFE JOURNEY

How many of you LOVE the colourful life, like taking the ride on a Roller Coaster? If you do, then we do have a lot in common!

My late father had travelled across an ocean from China to marry my mother in Malaysia. She is a local lady. As such, I am a product of a migrant from Main Land China and a local lady. Both are illiterate. Luckily, 5 out of my 7 siblings are university graduates, that made both our parents very proud.



I was born at only 2 kgs. But my nickname is Tua Tow in Hokkein, meaning BIG HEAD because my head was relatively bigger than my body size Tua Tow Tua Tow, sounds cute right?  But you can even call me Tua Tow Kay (big boss). 

I began to work at 12 and discovered that Education is the only viable way for me to break off from poverty chain. Since then I strived to follow the foot steps of those successful people and noticed that some of their backgrounds are even worse than mine. If they can achieve success, why can't I?

began by choosing to play the winning game like chess. I was the Captain who led my primary school in participating at the Penang State Chess Competitions under 12 Category in 1973.

However, due to some unfortunate, unpleasant and unforeseen events, I perform far below my trainer's expectation. I did not even enter the Quarter Final of the Individual event despite my perfect score in the team event. Since then I seldom play the game and pursue my other dreams.


I also needed to help my mum to sells lottery tickets to supplement our house's income . After my mother’s serious accident, I took over and maintained the business till a few months before my Malaysian Certificate of Examination, which is Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia now.

then painfully discontinued this small business to focus on my study, which she disagreed with in view of our tight financial situation, which I could understand. Luckily, many years later, she understood that I made the right decision.

Another blessing came when I obtained a Grade One in my Malaysian Certificate of Examination. But my joy was short lived because I could not obtain placing in Form 6 at government (public) school, despite many rounds of appeals. I even went to see our Penang Chief Minister, late Tun Lim Chong Eu, but he did not have time for me.

But I didn't despair nor give upThrough my good grades, I got a job as Laboratory Assistant assigned to World Health Organisation and Sumitomo projects. The late Professor from the Biology School, Universiti Sains Malaysia encouraged me immensely which sparked my desire to pursue my dream further.

At that time, I took London Chamber of Commerce Industry intermediate book-keeping classes. Again, due to dire financial constraints, I opted to do self study and not attending night classes, which the teacher assured me that I would FAIL . But I passed the examination with my hard work and  fortitude . I began to aspire to become an Accountant. 

Anyone here love tiger prawns? Interestingly, prior to my London Chamber of Commerce Intermediate Examination, I also have another project of rearing tiger prawns with a friend. “So who says man cant multitask ?” 


From the professor's encouragement, I then persevered  to pursue my Form 6 in Private School with my earnings from my part time job.

But another battle began because all subjects were in Bahasa Malaysia and my year was the last batch for MCE where Science and Mathematics were in English . Determination and Staying focus helped me to overcome this challenges apart from having to give tuition to 4 school students 2-3 hours Everyday except Sunday. The fees I earned just barely covered all my school expenses and my monthly bike instalment.

Without any income for about 3 months prior to my examination as I stopped giving tuition,  my only option was attending classes without paying school fees and being prepared to face whatsoever consequence.

Fortunately, my S.T.P.M. (GCE A level) result got me into a local university that we could only afford. I was so exultant because I made it at last after all the hassles and obstacles. 




These good habits and attitudes enable me to obtain several academic qualifications  prior to the completion of my first Bachelor of Accounting degree such as Malaysian Chamber of Commerce Higher Accounting and English 1119.

By applying my knowledge, skill and strategies I managed to grow a newly set up private company to a publicly listed company and promoted as Financial Controller of the company.  

I must admit that Practice does not make Perfect but Practice makes Permanent Progress.

In year 2000, after my team and I managed to turnaround the company with Knowing-doing Gap strategies and I had fulfilled all of my dreams at that time. I then lost sense of purpose in my life coupled with my helplessness to defend the loss of my still born child. That's subsequently led me to lose my passion in my profession.

Would you agree that your beliefs determine your actions?

Knowing that I was dying inside and my spirit was literally drying up. So, I embarked to pursue my second Law degree and soul searching journey.

I vowed if I ever got out of this mess, I will help others learn lessons that might improve their lives.  

During this time, I have unlearned what I had learned and relearned what is unlimited belief. 

In 2008, I simply quit my overseas job shortly after I obtained my Permanent Resident. What at the time appeared as a bold and irresponsible decision, would soon open doors that would enable me to discover the "Missing Link" in my own life. 

That freed me to enter into one of the most creative and bold periods of my life. Guess what? I WAS venturing into wealth coaching PROGRAM and social media at my late 40 before I completed my Certified Professional Trainee Program. Many were surprised, even amongst my friends.

With this turn again, I then realised my larger purpose of helping people to live life in more fulfilling roles. I do so by repaying back those kind souls and people who have touched my life.

From  my turbulent life history, I learnt that we dictate the path, nothing can stop us so long we don't give in and give up.We just need to be accountable, decisive, committed, audacious and stay focus as we stride along our life journey.


NOW, I like to wish your life journey with the following:-





No comments:

Post a Comment