Wednesday 5 December 2012

DO WHAT MATTERS MOST NOW (IN SPEECH)



How many of you agree that we should do what matters most Now, and Not Tomorrow ? ask ourselves sincerely whether we really do it or not. Congratulations to those who have done so. But, for those who have not, tonight is your answer.

Fellow Toastmasters, Ladies and Gentlemen.



I am honoured to be here to tell you 3 stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just three stories.

The first story is about CONNECTING THE DOTS.

I am so blessed because I inherited natural wealth talents, wild imagination and weak health. I was born underweight, at only 4 Ibs 4 ozs in 1961 and both my parents were very concerned that I would not be able to survive long. I had been frequently saddled with sickness in my early life. Today, I consider this weak health a Blessing because it shapes me to be better, stronger, sweeter and not bitter. 





My talent of playing chess and was spotted by my primary school teacher, who had subsequently coached me to be my school's Captain. That lead me to represent my school in both team and individual events in the Penang State Chess Competition under 12 category in 1973. 

Due to some unpleasant events, I performed far below his expectation. I did not even enter the Quarter Final of the Individual event despite my perfect score in the team event. Since then, I had stopped playing chess and pursue my other dreams. It served a good turning point in my life, rather than an end.

I then learned from those kind souls and friends that I could overcome my physical weakness through my mental strength. Thereafter, I consistently spent my time, effort and money in upgrading and enhancing my knowledge, skill and mindset till to date.

Some of my childhood's heroes such as Confucius, Ghandi, Abraham Lincoln and many others, had transformed and impacted my life significantly. I was inspired by their transformation of humanity to a greater height.

I am very grateful to them for helping me to acquire not only better health, but also much stronger mindset which helped me to overcome many adversities at my later life. I also managed doing things more effectively and efficiently in order to cope well with my study while I was engaged with my other part time jobs. 

These good habits and attitudes enable me to obtain several academic qualifications  prior to the completion of my first Bachelor of Accounting degree such as London Chamber of Commerce Intermediate Book-keeping, Malaysian Chamber of Commerce Higher Accounting and English 1119.

By applying my knowledge, skill and strategies I managed to grow a newly set up private company to a publicly listed company and promoted as Financial Controller of the company.  

I must admit that Practice does not make Perfect but Practice makes Permanent Progress.

My second story is about my gain and loss

In year 2000, after my team and I managed to turnaround the company with Knowing-doing Gap strategies and I had fulfilled all of my dreams at that time. I then lost sense of purpose in my life coupled with my helplessness to defend the loss of my still born child. That's subsequently led me to lose my passion in my profession.

Would you agree that your beliefs determine your actions?

Knowing that I was dying inside and my spirit was literally drying up. So, I embarked to pursue my second Law degree, soul searching journey and Certified Practitioner Trainer.

I vowed if I ever got out of this mess, I will help others learn lessons that might improve their lives.  

During this time, I have unlearned what I had learned and relearned what is unlimited belief. 

My third story is about my purposeful life
  
In 2008, I simply quit my overseas job shortly after I obtained my Permanent Resident. What at the time appeared as a bold and irresponsible decision, would soon open doors that would enable me to discover the "Missing Link" in my own life. 

That freed me to enter into one of the most creative and bold periods of my life. Guess what? I WAS venturing into wealth coaching PROGRAM and social media at my late 40 before I completed my Certified Professional Trainee Program. Many were surprised, even amongst my friends.

With this turn again, I then realised my larger purpose of helping people to live life in more fulfilling roles. I do so by repaying back those kind souls and people who have touched my life.

NOW, I conclude my speech with the following:-

Life is short! 
Whatever you want to do, do it now.
Whatever you want to be, be that now.
Whatever you want to have, go for it now!
When it comes to the important things in life, don't wait until tomorrow.
Tomorrow may not come. 

(Page 67 Speedwealth by T. Harv Eker)


2 comments:

  1. ilike the book info if you need arevier let me now
    desithelbnde@msncm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks desi the blode for your offer. I have bought and read the book.

    ReplyDelete